Grade: Determines the kinds of flying a pilot can do.
- Student Pilot: Local solo training flights without passengers. Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Recreational Pilot: Local, uncontrolled day flights with up to 1 passenger.
- Private Pilot: Flights worldwide with passengers, non-profit.
- Commercial Pilot: Paid flying allowed.
- Airline Transport Pilot: Paid flights, can be airline captain.
Ratings: What aircraft a pilot can fly and how.
- Category: Airplane, Glider, Rotorcraft, etc.
- Class: Single or Multi-Engine, Land/Sea
- Type: Classifies planes under heavy or light categories.
- Instrument: (IFR) different for each class and type rating.